Saturday, October 29, 2011

Finally, something truly Singaporean



I got this valuable tip from a Singaporean taxicab driver, there's a wealth of information one can get from the unassuming taxicab driver you know.

I always like to ask them where the best tasting places to eat local dishes are. They weave around the city all day, dropping off locals and tourists here and there, they're an excellent resource if you want to experience the local culinary scene the way the locals do. They know the best places many locals like to eat at and they know how it should taste like, and what's more, they eavesdrop on conversations of passengers that talk about the best restaurants and hawkers... asides from who's dating whom of course.



At first I thought he was trying to say the word "Butiki". As I tried my best to learn Singlish in the next few seconds, this is what I discovered...  BOON TONG KEE on River Valley Road. It was the best Hainanese Chicken Rice ever. Well at least they have an award for being amongst the top ten. There are other dishes too of course but I'll write more in detail about this experience in Word of Mouth - Philippine Daily Inquirer soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment