Friday, March 11, 2011

Wabi Sabi - A vegetarian discovery!


I was never a fan of vegetarian food. It wasn’t because I disliked the taste, I just never tried it. My perception of this type of food was boring, bland and not fun at all to eat.
Bubut and Maryann Jimenez are both vegetarians. And in one visit to Bubuts Gun shop, his wife served me vegetarian spam with freshly sliced tomato on a toasted pandesal. It was like a light bulb that just turned on in my brain. The following morning, I headed to Polki, the vegetarian store in Quirino Avenue in Manila and just started trying the various vegetarian meats, imitation Pork, Beef, Chicken and other interesting products.
Whenever I’m in Mega Mall and want to eat healthy, I make sure I have something from Bodji. They have barbecue, kare kare, different kinds of pancit and many other healthy imitation dishes. Pwede na food.
Recently, friends Dan and Geri Gil invited us to this hole in the wall vegetarian place on Malugay street in Makati. I get excited whenever I’m about to try "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants. To me, these are the real culinary finds.
This vegetarian discovery is in an old building with very interesting shops. There are a few restaurants and antique shops around. One was selling soap, various sizes of salt from Pangasinan, coffee and other interesting organic items. One specialized in chicken wings while the other in fast food Chinese cooking. Another is a repair shop for antique bicycles, furniture and home accessory store with an eclectic theme and a few others. Before I entered the restaurant, I went browsing around and found the next door resto serving a specialized burger. This is a first. It’s a burger with a strip of bacon using a Krispy Kreme type donut as its bread. All his menu items are fattening, unhealthy and sinful. It looked very interesting. This I have to try.
The vegetarian place we visited sits about 30. Menu is limited but most of them winners. As soon as we sat down, we were given vegetarian chicharon. It has the taste of the real macoy without the guilt. Tessa had the Pho while I had the Shoyu Ramen.We also had the siomai, siopao, Vietnamese sandwich, gyoza and the lemon grass iced tea.
I loved almost everything. I found the siomai and asado siopao not too exciting though. I enjoyed my ramen but hijacked my wife's Pho. The pho had the nice tasting and aroma of Vietnamese broth with a much lighter texture. Not as rich as the beef version. It had a lot of real veggies and some slices of veggie meat. Other must trys are gyoza, the Vietnamese sandwich with sauce and the lemon grass. You may also season your Pho with vegetarian patis if you want. Mine was perfect. Took some chicharon home, brought it to a get together and it was a hit! Sarap!
I know I enjoyed the place because I let one day pass and I was back. I had eaten a lot but felt very light when I played badminton that afternoon. So, this is what many vegetarians say they feel when eating this healthy kind of food.
I now see good vegetarian food in a totally different light. Check them out!
WABI-SABI NOODLE HOUSE and VEGETARIAN GROCERY is located at the Collective Building. # 7274 Malugay St., San Antonio Village in Makati. From Edsa Cubao, turn right on Buendia and drive all the way to Pasong Tamo. Turn right on Pasong Tamo, left on Yakal and drive all the way to the end. Turn left at the end, then left on Malugay Street (not Malunggay like I was asking around). It will be the building on your left. Tel. nos. 0918 450 1714 or 519 3950
HAPPY EATING!
***March 3, 2011, Word Of Mouth, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Lifestyle Section***

4 comments:

  1. Nice! thanks for the tip!

    Vinci
    aka..your avid fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetarian Spam?! Say it isn't so... That's like saying Tofu Bacon... Vegetarian Spam sounds like an Oxymoron haha.

    Could you tell the difference between normal and Vege spam? I may have to try this... My Dr. says i've inherited the bad bloodpressure of my filipino heritage and to start cutting out sodium! :( Makes me sad...

    Loving the blog Sandy, it's making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sands...still waiting for you to do your explorations up here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike, personally, I can tell the difference in taste of veggie spam and regular spam. Considering the benefits one gets from veggie spam, it's worth it. The taste is good, not as salty and it has the same texture. If you want to cut down on your sodium intake, stay away from soy sauce. I know, I know, easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete