Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ilocos Norte - Bangui Windmill Farm


Recently, I found myself in the vicinity of the wind turbines in Bangui, a small town off the North West tip of Ilocos Norte. I didn't realize that these behemoths, all 20 of them, are a lot bigger than they look in photos.


Their ominous presence by the coast of the South China Sea with the strong tempestuous winds and crashing waves is daunting. Feels like the aliens have finally landed. Standing directly underneath the rotating blades as they come down certainly will give you the heebie-jeebies. Don't believe me? Try it. Those of you who have been there know what I'm talking about.


What does this all have to do with a culinary blog you ask? Hang on, it's worth posting. Well, there is this little "nipa hut" restaurant sitting out there in the middle of it all. The name? Kang kang cafe. I asked around what Kang kang means and I was told it means fu**ing! He he.. the Effing Cafe. Among all the names of restaurants I've come across, this has got to be the most unpretentious. I mean, that's exactly what comes to mind. Picture it, you're out in the middle of nowhere amidst the roaring waves, massive, overgrown pinwheels and hysterical winds, not a soul in sight and you stumble onto a restaurant. You say, "What the heck?! It's an effing cafe!!". Yes! It's exactly what it is! They sell local Ilocano dishes and a whole selection of coffee, the best of which is aptly named the Kang kang brew. Ha ha. Imagine going up to the counter, "Hi, can I have a fu**ing brew?". I don't drink coffee thank God, but a friend did and he said it was, "effin' good!". =)

The Kang kang cafe

8 comments:

  1. Effing hilarious Sandy! Not to mention interesting. Your blog reflects who you are---an unpretentious foodie! A great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog, Sandy! will follow your culinary (as well as non-culinary) adventures here, for sure!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made my earlier comment before i read this particular entry. now, i just read it and the other guy who made a comment is right.. this is a RIOT, hahaha! a healthy appetite for good food and a sense of humor makes you some of the best human specimens on this planet.. will enjoy reading your subsequent entries for sure, haha!

    Teddy (Montelibano) again...

    Please give my warmest regards to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your article Sandy! Effing enjoyed it.

    Regards to all.

    Vinci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sandy! I discovered your blog because of Teddy. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for this post. We've been in Bangui Windmill and we didn't know that there is that Kang Kang Cafe. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right Sandy, I've tried it too in Amien on the way to Le Touquet staying underneath the huge blade is very impressive.The Bling Bling café is few miles away I had nespresso "what else"

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it interesting your blog. I am interested in knowing the culture and especially the academic programs that are implemented in secondary education in this country and would appreciate any help you can give me. Please, visit my blog:
    http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es

    Greetings from Colombia

    ReplyDelete